Land Cover – Climate Change Initiative
ESA CCI Land Cover dataset (https://www.esa-landcover-cci.org/) is used to produce PFT maps for the ORCHIDEE model.
Transformation of the initial data is done in the following steps:
- Aggregation of the yearly ESA CCI land cover data (1992-2015, 300 m resolution, 38 land cover classes, v2.0.7b) into 15 generic PFTs at selected resolution, using:
- aggregation tool "lc-user-tools" (v3.13)
- additional Köppen-Geiger climate zone map (300 m resolution, 5 climate zones)
- default cross-walking table (v2.4), matching ESA CCI classes with generic PFTs
- additional cross-walking table (v2.4), refining the conversion of several ESA CCI classes depending on the climate zone
- Aggregation of the generic PFTs into standard ORCHIDEE PFTs, using:
- python program "CCI_to_PFT"
- additional partitioning C3/C4 vegetation map (C. Still et al.)
- Earth surface topography data at 5 minute resolution (etopo5)
In order to create historical (850-2010) and future projected (2010-2100) PFT maps the dataset is further merged with the LUH2 dataset (http://luh.umd.edu/):
- Backward/forward PFT map reconstruction by merging ORCHIDEE PFT map for 2010 with LUH2 data, using:
- ferret script
- LUH2 data (v2h)
- Post-processing of the reconstructed maps, using:
- python script "post_PFT.py"
The data are available on obelix:
- Original ESA CCI land cover data (1992-2018, 300 m resolution, 38 land cover classes, v2.0.7b for 1992-2015 and v2.1.1 for 2016-2018, ~2.5 Gb per file):
- The same data aggregated into 15 generic PFTs at different resolutions (1°, 0.5°, 0.25°, 0.1°, 0.05°, 0.025°, 0.0125°):
- The same data further aggregated into 15 ORCHIDEE PFTs:
The ORCHIDEE-related PFT maps are also available on the common-shared repositories on the super-computers used to run the model, e.g: